2016 Goddam

What are you scared of, little girl...the fact that they came for Anne Frank or that you aren't sure on which side of the moral divide you would have fallen? I's easy to say you would have been a hero 80 years later when innocent and guilty are buried, case closed, holding up your lily white hands for all to see...but not everyone's a hero. And now it's here. Our kids, grandkids, history, will judge us on how we respond to the evil that has risen again. Can't you feel it? I can smell it. I was walking in the woods one morning when hunting season began in Pennsylvania. The crack of rifles, dogs on the hunt baying, igniting the dogs in the neighborhood to riot, tearing at their leashes. Yes, I smelled fear and death, but also exuberance and dominance. I started running, but I can't tell you if I was running to or from. And now I'll find out. Too bad. I almost made it out alive.

Comments

Popular Posts