Guest post, Obvious Conclusions, by Paul Heller: Euthanasia


 

Yes, I’m the mountain lion who tried to snatch your baby. I was hungry. Game is scarce. But I’m not sure I was stalking to eat. You see, a month ago my son was run over trying to get across your four-lane, and my ill will hasn’t lifted because I saw it happen. And then, of course, the baby was on a blanket on ground that once belonged to me -- before the development, before the four-lane, before your nonchalant indifference to the effect of whatever you feel like doing has on me.

 They’re hunting for me, but they’ll go easy when they catch me, and they will. After all, it’s not any of the violent barbarisms you routinely practice on your miscreants that they’ll use on me. No. They’ll put me down –  a euphemism for murder me -- by euthanasia. I’ll feel just like I’m taking a nap. Such noble humanism.

 It’s happened to so many of my family, so many of my clan -- we who were here long before you clambered up our mountainsides with your Indian guides and long rifles – that it’s become what your species call the new normal. 

 And oh, sincere apologies for the inconvenience my son caused. Serious impact damage to the car. The police report says doing 80 in a 55 zone. Your insurance is going to go up, you know how that works. And how about the traumatized children in the back seat. My goodness, another thing to have to work on in therapy.

 I have a modest proposal that will even the playing field. I think if you’re willing to be honest, you’ll agree its time has come. Euthanize the driver. Or better, turn the driver over to me.

Comments

Popular Posts