I Dreamed I Killed the Earth Last Night



I dreamed I killed the earth last night, no easy tasks for me
What sets in slowly finally fails spasmodically
For years she feigned indifference, she really had it coming
Haven’t I the right to keep my enterprises humming?

Like a Bavarian clinician I accumulate the data
To put in place a foolproof case on why it doesn’t matter
If I peel away her mantle like I’d peel an orange rind
And give my host a legal dose fresh out of my behind
Her surface harbors treasures that I need for my convenience
I invented reign of terror mutilation is my genius

And though she tries to plague me to make my numbers plummet
By perversity and will I’ve somehow clambered to a summit
Where I can dodge her poisoned arrows and stay a step ahead
And barricade myself away from everything I dread
While I choke the air around me and vomit in the sea
And multiply until there’s room for nothing else but me

A side effect of dirty work’s a nagging guilty conscience
My yogi reassures me that it’s just a lot of nonsense
I’m banking that I’ll beat the odds and stay alive forever
Some projects on the drawing board are devilishly clever
If I only keep my focus all my efforts are prodigious
And anyhow to hedge my bets I’ve gotten quite religious

I dreamed I killed the earth last night
In final agony
She checked out with a flourish
Catastrophically
But as I tampered with the evidence what I didn’t see
Was that before I’d finished killing her I’d finished killing me

COPYRIGHT 2013 PAUL FUHRMAN

PASTEL DRAWING BY CLARENCE H. CARTER

Comments

  1. Roberta - I own this piece by Clarence - it was a wedding present . I'm really curious about where you found the image.

    xoxooxox
    Marion

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts